Thursday, July 14, 2011

I hate you, now take me to the mall

Teenagers.  Autism.  Which one is more challenging? And let's not even go there- "there" being that I will have an autistic teenager under my roof in a year's time.

People keep recommending the book titled in this post.  Barnes and Noble here I come.  Teenagers are people, too.  They deserve respect.  I get that.

I am, however, a fairly newbie at the "parenting a teen gig" and my hair is quickly getting grayer by the day.  My teen seems to have the ability to control her actions, including those which annoy the crap out of me.  In contrast, my kid with autism doesn't seem to be able to control all his actions, so maybe it is a tad easier to accept those. 

This blog tends to be about the not-so-normal (like autism) parts of my life.  Now, I am probably going to be writing about what everyone goes through (and I hear survives)- raising a teenage girl without fleeing to a desert island or putting her on a plane to a similar place.  Wish me luck.  Lots of it.

No comments: