Thursday, February 25, 2010

Childhood reflections

The rain pounds against the windows, the chill in the air hasn't subsided in quite a few days.  The outside elements have perhaps put a damper on lots of people's spirits.  I can't get into watching the Olympics, which is neither here not there. I don't watch American Idol. Conclusion: My current pop culture awareness is pretty low.

However, today came the news that an actor named Andrew Koenig from the 80's/90's hit show "Growing Pains" had taken his own life after a long battle with depression. This has bummed me out inexplicably. Koneig played "Boner", Mike's friend. The actor who portrayed Mike, heart-throb Kirk Cameron, made a plea to Koenig the other day: "Call me. Mike and Boner can get through anything".

The tragedy of losing this young actor is sad, but it's also a reminder that I am old. The shows I grew up watching (Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, Webster, Perfect Strangers, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Facts of Life, Different Strokes, and if I "really* think back, Eight is Enough and Little House on the Prairie) were integral parts of my growing up. I rode my bike in my neighborhood and sometimes made it up to Mountain Road. I played in the woods and made forts. I had a friend who lived on the end of Mountain Rd. towards Winn Street that I visited a lot.  My childhood was very simple, and very sheltered in a good way.  I was smart grade-wise, not very comfortable or smart socially (the brown skin and lack of coordination did not help), and for many years got along with pretty much everyone. I still remember completely freaking out when walking into Kim MacDonald's backyard and getting covered by caterpillars that were falling off their trees and running home screaming. But, we also had good times in the clubhouse in Mary Ellen's back yard, and exploring the woods.

Life seemed pretty darn simple. Now, the shows my kids watch are mostly reality-based (18 Kids and Counting, Deliver Me) or insipid Disney shows like "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody: On Deck".  The kids don't get the same kinds of opportunities for outside play. The world is not as safe as we thought it was 20 or 25 years ago and kids can't stay out till the streetlights come on. My kids love to hear stories about my childhood (which wasn't quite as idyllic as this post makes it sound).

I loved my TV shows, and on Friday nights, I would escape to watch my favorite shows, armed with a bowl of Heavenly Hash ice cream with a broken up Kit-Kat on top. (No, not very healthy, I know.)  Shows like Growing Pains, watching the banter between Mike and Boner, seeing important issues covered like drunk driving when Carol's boyfriend died, they all shaped who it was I became.  There were no iPods or handheld DS games. We were lucky if we had video console systems, and I remember being thrilled to go to Anjali's house to play Frogger on her Atari a zillion times. I remember watching "The Breakfast Club" and "Dirty Dancing" on our new VCR. Every Sunday, I would take my battery-powered radio up to the top of my back-yard, swing on the swing-set, and listen to Casey Kasem's "American Top 40".

The untimely death of Koenig (aka "Boner") makes me remember how important I considered that show, and all the pieces of pop culture, while growing up in a white-bread suburb like Burlington.  However, I still hold onto small pieces of it. On my iPod, I have Belinda Carlisle and Bon Jovi-- a hair band and a former Go-Go. What could be more 80's than that?

No comments: