Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving thanks

Today, I am thankful for friends who are my chosen family, children who give me purpose, bring me joy, and who I love more than life itself, work I truly enjoy (along with some really wonderful clients who I feel blessed to also call friends), and a village who envelops my family in caring, kindness, and strength.

Friends, however few, are honest, fun, compassionate, giving, and even inspirational.

In a year where I thought I had found my faith, only to lose it again, I give thanks to God or whatever greater power has existed, and hope she/he comes back into our lives.  I give thanks to the good people at our church, who offered Christian love and support during a very tough spring/summer and am glad my kids made some special friendships there.  

I especially give thanks for the moms I know who show me every day, in small and large ways, how to be a better person.  I'm still learning and am beyond impressed by what I get to witness every week; moms being caretakers and most times taking good care of themselves, too.

This year, I am thankful to be in a position to help others, the place I lived in for many years pre-2006.  It gives me a sense of purpose to support others, just as others have supported us when we have needed it.

Finally, I'd be remiss to not to be thankful for the very special kids I work for and with, along with some very talented educators.  I am inspired by children who overcome such adversity and by their parents who only want them to be happy and succeed.  I am fortunate to be able to earn a living helping children thrive.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!  May you be as blessed as I am.  My hope is that we all, me included, will be able to realize that on even the not-so-good days that inevitably occur in the cycle of life.

No comments: