Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grace happens

This morning, when it was still pitch black outside, I walked to the back porch, fleece on, and took in what the week had been, and mentally prepared myself for what was going to be a challenging day.  Breathing in the cold, fresh air, I stood, alone, and enjoyed watching the beginnings of the sunrise. 

The morning seemed, in advance, a mountain to scale, not knowing how high we would climb, or if we would need to descent before reaching the peak.  In any high stakes meeting where people are counting on me, I do feel the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I knew we had the right evidence and that I had produced high-quality documents.  Without resolution, today could have lead to a not very fun week after Thanksgiving for many people.

The meeting was painful only in the sense that some of the people there did not want to be there and seemed so uncomfortable.  But, folks needed to hear me out, and did so respectfully.  Afterwards, we needed to hear them, and did so respectfully.

In a moment of grace, it became clear we were both looking for the same thing.

It makes me happy to know a student will have a chance to heal and learn;  I was able to play a small role in making that happen and that is a great "paycheck", the  thank you from a grateful mom.

Sitting here in the calm, feeling confident, I am chatting with my son who randomly gives me kisses on the top of my head, enjoying some leisurely discussion with my daughter, and even snuggling up with the cat.  Tomorrow, I'm taking a day off from work and going to do something nice for myself.   A hike sounds like just what the doctor ordered, or maybe just a walk around Horn Pond.  Later, my teenager can meet a potential new friend and bond over social justice issues and a love of animals and all things not mainstream.

I am so very grateful for my friends, my children, and my village.  Furthermore, I am grateful that I get to do work I love and *maybe* change kids' lives along the way.

No comments: